Ministry of Mines is responsible for survey and exploration of all minerals, other than natural gas, petroleum and atomic minerals; for mining and metallurgy of non-ferrous metals like aluminium, copper, zinc, lead, gold, nickel etc. and for administration of the Mines and Minerals (Regulation and Development) Act, 1957 in respect of all mines and minerals other than coal, natural gas and petroleum.
A list of subjects allocated to the Ministry of Mines, Attached Office, Subordinate Office, Public Sector Undertakings and Research Institutions under the administrative control of Ministry of Mines are given below:-
1. (a) Legislation for regulation of mines and development of minerals within the territory of India, including mines and minerals underlying the ocean within the territorial waters or the continental shelf, or the exclusive economic zone and other maritime zones of India as may be specified, from time to time by or under any law made by Parliament.
1. (b) Regulation of mines and development of minerals other than Coal, Lignite and Sand for stowing and any other mineral declared as prescribed substances for the purpose of the Atomic Energy Act, 1962 (33 of 1962) under the control of the Union as declared by law, including questions concerning regulation and development of minerals in various. States and the matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
2. All other metals and minerals not specifically allotted to any other Ministry/Department, such as Aluminium, Zinc, Copper, Gold, Diamonds, Lead and Nickel.
3. Planning, development and Control of, and assistance to, all industries dealt with by the Ministry.
4. Administration and Management of Geological Survey of India.
5. Administration and Management of Indian Bureau of Mines
6. Metallurgical Grade Silicon.
Attached Office / Subordinate Office
Geological Survey of India (Head Quarters, Kolkata) is an Attached Office and Indian Bureau of Mines (Head Quarters, Nagpur) is a Subordinate Office of the Ministry.
Public Sector Undertakings
There are three Public Sector Undertakings of Ministry of Mines, namely:
- National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO), Bhubaneswar;
- Hindustan Copper Limited (HCL), Kolkata;
- Mineral Exploration Corporation Limited (MECL), Nagpur;
There are two Research Institutions which are the Autonomous Bodies of this Ministry:
- National Institute of Rock Mechanics, (NIRM), Kolar Gold Fields (Karnataka)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Aluminium Research Development and Design Centre (JNARDDC) Nagpur.